Part 1 : Body
When Fuelling Your Wellbeing Is Not Always About Food
Wellbeing is not all about just eating well, going to the gym and thinking happy thoughts. These are integral parts of a bigger plan for personal wellbeing. In order for wellness to be sustainable it must have a foundation based in simple, daily practices and routines that nourish the body, the mind and the soul.
Fuelling your wellbeing is about the ordinary and the simple habits of daily life. It is not about waiting for a big moment of blissfully perfection. Wellbeing comes from the small everyday actions.
Here are some of my top tips for fuelling your well-being.
- Nourishment is the key. Nourishing your body with wholesome, real, delicious foods that offer you a sense of satiety. (Click here to see this post).
- Simple nutrition is the key to my food philosophy of wellbeing. Strip away the noise and confusion and follow this simple guide. Half of your plate at each meal should be fruit and vegetables, one quarter should be wholegrain carbohydrates and the last one quarter lean proteins.
- Sleep. Adequate amounts of sleep (preferably 8 hours) gives the brain time to rest and recharge itself.
- Meditation allows the body and the mind an opportunity to rest and experience calm. It allows for a release of stress that has been allowed to build during the day. It also creates a quietness and a space in the busy mind to allow us to think and hear and feel all that our body is trying to tell us.
- Give yourself a break. It is good to take a break sometimes. Many people tend to overbook themselves and constantly feel overwhelmed with how much they have to do in a day. Book in time with yourself in your own schedule. If you’re feeling the lack of free time weighing you down, try to cut back on one activity a week. Even such a small change can make a big difference in your quality of life.
- Hydration. Make one simple change. Start and end you day with a glass of water.